Friday, January 10, 2014

Carbonara

For some reason I have been craving spaghetti carbonara.  Thankfully, my sister-in-law's boyfriend is an amazing chef and made it for me a few weeks ago when we saw him at Christmas.  It totally satisfied my craving...for a few days.  It came back with a vengeance this week and I was at a loss.  It felt like the walk of shame when I texted him to teach me how to make it.  He was very gracious and sent me step by step instructions.  It was delish and so easy to make, which is probably a very bad thing because I have a feeling this is a craving that's here to stay!!

 
 
Pasta Carbonara
 
Ingredients:
6 oz. pancetta, diced
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
1 lb. spaghetti or bucatini

In a large sauté pan,  cook the pancetta over medium heat until golden brown.  Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until soft.  Add white wine to deglaze pan.  Lower heat and cook until wine has reduced by about 80%.  In the meantime, boil water and cook pasta until al dente.  Once wine has reduced and pasta is cooked add it to the pancetta mixture.  Be sure to save some of the pasta cooking water as you may need it to thin out the sauce a bit.  Remove pan from heat and add the cheese.  Stir to begin melting the cheese.  Add the egg yolks and toss to blend into pasta.  Cheese and yolks should form a creamy sauce - I added a little pasta cooking water at a time to get it to the desired consistency.  Add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.  So easy and delicious - buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment